The Altira Gladesville Retirement Apartments (Altira) respects the privacy of individuals and is committed to providing the highest levels of service. This also includes protecting the privacy of individuals. From the 12th March 2014, we will be bound by new sections of The Privacy Amendment (Enhancing Protection) Act 2012 (Privacy Amendment Act), which has resulted in significant amendments to the Privacy Act 1988 (Privacy Act). At Altira we are committed to complying with the obligations of the Australian Privacy Principles (APP). This document set out when and how Altira will collect, hold, use and disclose an individual’s personal information, as well as how an individual may contact Altira in relation to their personal information, or in order to make complaint about a breach of privacy. The following is the information that the Privacy Act requires us to communicate. We recommend that you keep this information for future reference.
Your Personal Information
Altira will generally only collect personal information which relates to the operations of its retirement village, employees and its members. Personal Information held by Altira may include your name, date of birth, current and previous addresses, telephone/mobile numbers, e-mail address, financial details, occupation and information on your health. Whilst this personal information will usually relate to an individual themselves, it may, from time to time, be necessary for Altira to collect personal information about individuals who are not residents of Altira (for example the details of a Next of Kin), to ensure that in the case of an emergency we are immediately able to contact those closest to our residents. In such cases, Altira will only collect the minimum amount of personal information required and will take reasonable steps to obtain the individuals consent to the collection of their personal information. While an individual may choose not to provide personal information to Altira, failure to do so may result in Altira being incapable of making its services available to an individual.
How we collect Personal Information
Altira collects Personal Information in several ways, including: –
- Directly from individuals, when they provide information by phone, or in documents such as an application form;
- Details regarding an individual’s health, which are provided to us by the individual’s medical practitioner (with their consent);
- From a like organisation who many be trying to location accommodation for an individual, on that individual’s behalf;
- From information provided to Altira from Government Departments, where the Associations confirmation of details is required for an individual to access government benefits;
- From family members, friends or an individual’s Power of Attorney.
How we use personal information
Personal information may be used in order to:-
- Provide services that individual may require, and any discussion that may involve with the individual, their family or next of kin;
- Administer and manage those services, including charging billing and collecting debts;
- Inform an individual of information regarding the management and financial position of their Retirement Village;
- Providing an individual’s contact details or other information to a Resident’s Committee (should one exist), for the purpose of facilitating the communication between the committee and an individual, who is a resident of a retirement village;
- Maintain and develop our business systems and infrastructure, including better means of communication, and the presentation of information to individuals.
We will also use personal information to keep individuals informed of our services. However, should an individual not wish us to contact them regarding our services, they should call Altira on 02 9816 0777.
Altira is concerned with the security of personal information and is committed to taking reasonable steps to protect it from unauthorised access and use.
Altira does not sell, trade or transfer personal information to third parties for the purpose of direct marketing.
Help us to ensure we hold accurate information
Altira takes all reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information we collect, use and disclose is accurate, complete and up to date. However, the accuracy of that information depends to a large extent on the information that an individual provides. That is why we recommend that individuals:
- Let us know if there are any errors in their personal information; and
- Keep us up to date with changes to personal information such as contact details.
To assist us in ensuring the accuracy of the personal information we hold, we ask our residents and member to confirm/update this information every 12 months.
You can access your personal information
You have a right to access your personal information, subject to some exceptions allowed by law. If you would like to do so, please let us know. You may be required to put your request in writing for security reasons. Altira may charge a reasonable fee to cover our costs for searching for and providing access to your information.
Who will see or have access to personal information
Only the Staff and Directors of Altira will have access to an individual’s personal information. However, Altira may be required under government legislation to supply information to a third party, for example: The Retirement Villages Act 1999 may allow access by the Office of Fair Trading.
If an individual wishes to make a complaint about Altira collection, use or disclosure of any personal information, or about any potential breach of an APP, the individual may contact the Privacy Officer by use of the contact details at the end of this document. When making a complaint an individual should include as many details as possible, including the nature of the personal information concerned, how it is believed to have been misused, which APP is believed to have been breached, the details of any Altira employee or representative involved and any other relevant information. The Privacy Officer may request additional information to enable the Privacy Officer to properly investigate the complaint and take such reparatory action as necessary.
How to contact us
If you have any questions in relation to privacy, please contact Altira on 02 9816 0777 between 10.00am and 5.00pm, Monday to Friday.
True to home. True to community. True to what you want. Live, true.
If you’d like more information and you’re ready to live true at Altira, register your interest now and be kept right up to date with key stages of Altira’s development.